Sunday, February 1, 2015

First official long run

Hello!

Thank you to all who have already donated to the run! Every penny counts!

January is officially in the books, I ended up running 116 miles, and hiking another 20 miles. That is 106 more miles running than January of 2014. It also marked the first month where I almost exclusively ran on a treadmill verses outside, and probably the first time ever that I might have gotten my moneys worth out of my gym.

I have been looking at training plans on and off since Wednesday and I am going to try and use Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 plan to get started. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/Marathon-Intermediate-1-Training-Program Based on my current conditioning and the fact that I only have 10 weeks of training, I am at about week 9 of this plan. I ran 13.1 miles last Monday before hearing about the Marathon, but I have not run further than 14 miles in a very long time. Most people when they are not training for a Marathon or are not Natalie Kratz do not run over 14 miles on a routine basis, so I do not feel too bad about not having crazy long runs recently.

Friday, I ended up taking a rest day. After a week of snow, running on the treadmill and going to work and little else, I was starting to get a little stir crazy. A night out would do wonders.

Saturday, I returned to the gym in the hopes of getting a long run in. I went in with the mindset that I was going to do 7-10 miles, but if I felt good, I would try to add more miles to catch up to the training plan. I felt okay, so I decided to aim for 15 miles. When I got to 15, I thought.. What's one more? so I ended up hitting 16 miles on the day. Interesting thought, My gym closes at 7pm on Saturdays.. When you run for more than 2 hours you need to think of these things, as I looked around and realized that no one was around me anymore, and that they were shutting down! When I was at 15.85 miles one of the staff came over and told me I had to leave, but I was not going anywhere until I hit 16 Miles.

After the run, I hurried to the locker room to grab my things so that they could close and ended up stretching out afterwards in the hall way outside of the gym. There's a first time for everything.

Sunday I am hoping for a short recovery run and that should bring me up over 45 miles on the week.

Go Pats!

- Douglas


Saturdays run: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/687092144


DONATE DONATE DONATE!
https://www.crowdrise.com/BostonCares2015/fundraiser/douglaswilliams




No comments:

Post a Comment